April 28, 1971.
On this day, IUPUI and Indiana University Medical Center leaders dedicated a new $8.3 million wing to James Whitcomb Riley Hospital for Children. The wing was part of a phased development of the Riley complex and would accommodate new maternal care facilities, a burn unit, and laboratory spaces.
The dedicatory ceremonies commenced in Lecture Hall on the IUPUI campus, followed by ribbon-cutting and tours. The featured speaker was Dr. Julius B. Richmond (1916-2008), a noted American pediatrician and in the 1960s creator of Project Head Start for pre-school children. Later, he became surgeon general of the United States during the presidency of Jimmy Carter.
To learn about the development of the IU Medical Center campus, please consult records in IUPUI Special Collections and Archives. Contact staff at email@example.com.